Since I've watched him struggle to tackle people and play pass defense in his first game against Utah State a couple of years ago, I've never been a big fan of OU linebacker (and U.K. native) Tom Wort. The guy has always seemed to be more hype than substance. If I had a dollar for every time Wort misses a tackle in a game, blows a zone coverage or Al Eschbach says on the radio "I'm told he looks great in practice," I'd be a rich man.
For some reason, though, the OU coaching staff continues to play the guy. I'm not sure why they do this, especially after the way Franklin Shannon played over the weekend, but here are some theories:
• They have struggled to recruit quality middle linebackers.
• Bob Stoops thinks it cute when Wort says things like lorry, parcel and queue.
• When they wake up each morning, the OU coaching staff watches this profile of Tom Wort on the BBC:
Yeah, Tom Wort is he is a top 20 draft prospect on the verge of NFL stardom. I sure do love the English and their dry humor and wit.
Actually, I think they think they were being serious, but they don't know any better. They're British! They know as much about American football as Bob Barry Jr. knows about any sport not played in Oklahoma, Boston or Green Bay. Hell, they even showed a boneheaded personal foul as a highlight! It's razzmatazz, I tell you!
Anyway, here are a few other thoughts:
• I bet KREF 1400 has already contacted the British Mel Kiper about having some show. They need a couple more OU homers at the station.
• British news lady was kind of hot in a British way.