Yesterday while our esteemed Senator Jim Inhofe was sitting in the confirmation hearing for Environmental Protection Agency nominee Radhika Fox, the bag of congressional bones interrupted Ms. Fox with a sexist, disrespectful statement to lighten the mood.
The awkward exchange was during Radhika Fox's confirmation hearing before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee to be the assistant administrator for the EPA's Office of Water. Fox currently serves in the role on an acting basis and is the Office of Water's principal deputy assistant administrator.
During the hearing, Inhofe, a Republican senator from Oklahoma, asked Fox about the Trump administration's changes to the Obama-era Waters of the United States rule, or WOTUS, which extended federal authority and protections to streams and wetlands but that others felt was government overreach.
As Fox was answering, Inhofe interrupted her, explaining that he didn't mean to, but needed to use his remaining time to ask questions of the other two Biden administration nominees at the hearing.
"I appreciate your comments particularly in your opening statement, I enjoyed that," Inhofe told Fox. "And so I will look forward to working with you."
"And if you don't behave, I'm going to talk to your daddy," he added, to which Fox then laughed.
As any other woman who has taken up space in a professional environment dominated by old white men knows, there’s a difference between a laugh and a laugh when you get these kinds of patronizing comments. Though Inhofe’s office released a statement later in the day claiming that the senator “made a lighthearted joke,” it’s unlikely this “joke” would’ve been made if it were a white man sitting across the table from him. I’m sure our esteemed senator is feeling really uncomfortable being called out on his jest. So to lighten the mood, here’s 5 “lighthearted jokes” for Jim Inhofe!
• The staff accidentally published a photo of the crypt keeper on your congressional webpage thinking it was you and the mistake went unnoticed for 3 years.
• The reason why you don’t believe in global warming is because your core body temperature has been decreasing by a degree every year since 1987.
• Willie Nelson and Keith Richards called; they said they’re rejecting your application to join the “Cool Old Men Who Will Never Die Club.”
• The only reason we know you have a heart is because we can see it through your skin.
• President Theodore Roosevelt refused to shoot a tied-up bear and inspired one of the most beloved children’s toys of all time. You shot a bunch of tied up pigeons and inspired the devil to try to refund your soul.
Hardee har har. Follow Hayley on twitter @squirrellygeek and become a contributing member of TLO here.